There’s nothing quite like firing up the grill for a backyard barbecue. Whether you’re feeding family, friends, or most of the neighborhood, cooking is just more fun when you’re outside. As grill experts, we find that most people don’t need to be convinced about the their many benefits. But, we wanted to tell you about one important accessory many people overlook—an outdoor grill cover.
Why should you get a grill cover?
There are several reasons you should invest in a high-quality grill cover:
- Protection from the elements: A grill cover helps protect your grill from any type of weather that Mother Nature can throw at it, be it rain, snow, sleet, hail, or wind. It will also protect your grill from dirt and falling twigs.
- Critter control: Grill covers are also essential for keeping pests out. Unprotected grills are prone to attract raccoons, opossums, squirrels, and other furry friends looking to lick up any leftover grease or drippings. In addition, bees, wasps, spiders, and other bugs think grills are the perfect spot to build a nest because there’s ample shade.
- Rust prevention: Constant exposure to wind and water will cause your grill to rust very quickly. Rust is notoriously hard to clean, leads to a poor working surface, and turns your beautiful grill into an eyesore.
- No “Ash Paste”: Ash paste forms when rainwater mixes with the charcoal ash at the bottom of your grill. When that paste hardens, it will turn into a cement-like substance that is near impossible to remove and reduces the efficiency of your grill.
- Long- and short-term storage: A high-quality grill cover will protect your grill between uses during grilling season and will be sturdy enough to protect your grill throughout the harsh winter months.
- Fuel fortress: If you store charcoal, wood, or other types of fuel under your grill, then an outdoor grill cover will also protect them from being exposed to moisture and becoming useless. If your grill uses a propane tank, then your grill cover will offer ample protection for that as well.
What materials are grill covers made from?
Outdoor grill covers are typically made from one of the following materials:
- Polyester: Probably the most common grill cover you will come across is a polyester grill cover. It’s lightweight, easy to clean, and will stand up to almost all weather conditions. However, it’s not the most durable material, so you may need to replace it every couple of years.
- Vinyl: Vinyl grill covers are highly waterproof, so they offer great protection from rain and snow. The downside is that they may not be as durable as other types of covers. So be sure are purchasing a thick, sturdy vinyl cover.
- Canvas: Canvas grill covers are typically your cheapest option, and also the most durable material.
What features should be considered when purchasing a grill cover?
When you’re shopping for a grill cover, be sure to pay close attention to these features:
- Size: You want your grill cover to be the right size for your grill. If it’s too small, it won’t provide ample protection. If it’s too big, then there might be enough room for animals to sneak in.
- Straps: A grill cover with straps will help keep the cover in place even in windy conditions. Straps are also helpful in keeping unwanted pests out of your grill.
- Air vents: Grill covers with air vents will prevent moisture and condensation from building up, which can lead to rust.
- Pockets: Pockets can be especially useful when you put the cover on overnight and you want to keep your utensils close at hand and ready to use for the next grilling session.
If you’re making an investment in a grill, then getting a grill cover is a no brainer. They’re inexpensive, effective, and will help make sure you continue to enjoy your grill for years to come.
Reno’s Appliance carries grill covers and all kinds of accessories for your backyard cooking and entertaining needs. And of course, we also carry an extensive inventory of grills, including pro barbeque grills, freestanding grills, and charcoal grills.
Reno’s Appliance was founded in 1951 as Reno’s Radio & TV. Since then, the shop has grown to become the one-stop home appliance source trusted by thousands. Reno’s sons continue to carry on the tradition set forth by their father and exhibit exceptional customer service. We have every home appliance you will possibly need.