Is there anything more frustrating than a tough stain on your clothes? Sometimes, it seems like no matter what you do, those stubborn spots, splotches, and spills just won’t come out. But before you toss those grimy garments in the garbage, check out our tips for removing the 10 toughest stains of all time.
1. Grass Stains
- Apply a stain treatment or detergent directly to the stain as soon as possible, then rub the treated part of the fabric together for about a minute.
- Without rinsing away the detergent, wash the stained garment in your washing machine as usual.
- If there is any stain remaining after the garment is washed, you can apply diluted white vinegar to it, rub the fabric together, and then wash it again. Repeat this step as needed until the stain is gone.
2. Red Wine
- Pour table salt directly onto the stain. You’ll notice the salt start to turn pink as it absorbs the stain.
- Throw out the salt and soak the garment in cold water and detergent overnight.
- The next day, wash the garment in your washing machine as usual.
- Remove as much of the excess chocolate as you can.
- Pour liquid detergent directly onto the stain and then use a soft-bristled toothbrush to work the detergent into the stain. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Without rinsing off the detergent, wash the garment in your washing machine using the hottest water temperature possible.
4. Fruit Juice or Coffee
- Rinse the garment in cold water for a few minutes to dilute the stain.
- Pour detergent directly onto the stain. Rub it in a bit with your fingers or a soft-bristled toothbrush, and let it sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Without rinsing off the detergent, wash the garment in your washing machine using hot water.
- Allow the mud to dry thoroughly and brush off as much as you can.
- Pour liquid dishwasher detergent and water onto the stain and rub gently to create suds. Do this for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse away suds with cold water.
- If any stain still remains, then mix one cup white vinegar and one cup water and rub the fabric together until the stain is gone.
- Finish by washing the garment in your washing machine as usual.
- If possible, rinse the stain immediately with cold water.
- Gently rub dishwashing liquid onto the stain and rinse with cool water. Repeat this step until you’ve removed as much of the stain as you can.
- Apply detergent directly to the stained area, gently rub it in, and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Without rinsing off the detergent, wash the garment in hot water.
- · Believe it or not, hairspray is the answer for ink. Start by placing a paper towel under the ink stain.
- · Saturate the stain with hairspray.
- · Let it soak for a minute, then blot the stain with a clean cloth.
- · Repeat the process until the stain is gone and then wash the garment in your washing machine as usual.
- Soak the garment in cold water, while gently rubbing the stain with your fingers.
- Change the water if you notice it begin to turn pink.
- When you have removed as much of the stain as possible, rinse the garment, blot the stain with a clean cloth, and soak it in cold water.
- Treat the garment with a stain remover, allow it to sit for at least an hour, and then wash the garment in your washing machine as usual.
- Apply a prewash stain remover to the garment as directed.
- Wash the garment in your washing machine using an enzyme detergent and oxygen bleach.
10. Ketchup, Pasta Sauce, and Tomato-Based Foods
- Whenever possible, rinse the garment under cold running water right away to remove as much of the stain as possible.
- Then, soak the garment in warm water and dab the spot with a soapy sponge (use dishwashing liquid).
- Wash the garment in your washing machine as usual.
Bonus Tip: Get a Quality Washing Machine
Don’t underestimate the power of a high-quality washing machine in your quest for the cleanest clothes. Here are some of our favorite models.
- Electrolux Front Load Perfect Steam: This model fights stains 3 ways with a built-in pre-treatment option, patented SmartBoostTM technology, and a steam cycle.
- GE Stainless Steel Washer: An outstanding value, this washer features an auto soak before each cycle to loosen stains, 4 preprogrammed settings to treat the most common stains, and a dual-action agitator for a thorough overall clean.
- Samsung AddWash Front Load Washer: This washer boasts a large tub capacity, super speedy performance, unique stain-fighting technology, plus a steam cycle.
If you’re interested in seeing any of these washing machines, then stop by Reno’s Appliance showroom in Paterson, NJ. While you’re there, you can also check out their extensive inventory of washing machines from other world-class brands including Maytag, Whirlpool, LG, and many others.