Even if you consider yourself to be just a casual wine drinker, you likely have a few bottles of vino stored around your house. Maybe you’ve got an uncorked bottle or two in the refrigerator and a few bottles in your cupboard or liquor cabinet. With the holidays approaching, you’ll probably even receive a few more bottles of wine as gifts. It may be time for you to start thinking about a wine fridge.
Do I Really Need a Wine Fridge?
Wine fridges aren’t just for connoisseurs. These days, more and more people consider the wine fridge to be another kitchen appliance they can’t do without. In fact, here are 6 great reasons you should get a wine fridge.
- Constant Temperature and Humidity Control: Wines are sensitive to temperature and humidity. A cabinet is too warm and too dry for proper wine storage and regular refrigerators are not the ideal spot for long-term storage. By storing your wine in a wine fridge, you know that you are keeping it at a correct and constant humidity level and temperature (50% to 70% humidity and 55 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Extended Shelf Life: Open bottles of wine can last for a year or longer if stored in a wine fridge, whereas open bottles can last for only a month in your regular refrigerator and even less time without any refrigeration.
- Protection: Bottles of wine are stored securely, yet gently in a wine fridge. The racks cradle the bottles to prevent cracks, spills, and any other damage. You’re not only protecting against potential messes, but you’re also protecting your investment, especially if you enjoy more expensive bottles of wine.
- Organization: With a wine fridge, you have one central location that you know is just for your wine. Organize your collection by vintage, color, region, or in any way that makes sense to you.
- Horizontal storage: Wine fridges store wine bottles horizontally, which keeps the cork from drying out. A dried out cork will let small amounts of air into the bottle, which will damage the wine.
- Optimal Taste: At the end of the day, you want your wine to taste good. A wine fridge stores your wine in the ideal setting, so that you can be sure you can always enjoy consistent, flavorful wine.
What should I consider when purchasing a wine fridge?
A quick Internet search of the term “wine fridge” will reveal hundreds of options. To find what type of wine fridge is best for you, consider these 5 factors:
- Available Space: Start with the obvious. How much space do you have in your kitchen for a wine fridge? Some models can be very small, with a 12-bottle capacity, larger ones can hold several dozen bottles, while still others can hold well over 100 bottles. Some are stand-alone units, while others can be built into existing cabinetry.
- Size of Your Collection: Don’t just consider the number of bottles you own, but look forward. Do you plan on growing your collection? How big of an inventory do you anticipate having on hand?
- Temperature options: Some wine fridges come equipped with two separate temperature zones for more precise control. Is that a feature you’d like or do you think it’s not necessary?
- Hardware: Some fridges have fancy wooden racks, while others boast stainless steel racks. There’s no difference in performance, so it’s really just personal preference.
- Price: Like any other purchase, a lot depends on your budget. Wine fridges can range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. If you’re interested in becoming a true collector, then you may want to make a larger investment. If you’re just looking for good wine storage for a dozen bottles or less, then there’s no need to break the bank.
Reno’s Appliance has a variety of wine refrigerators and wine storage options from the best brands including Sub-Zero, Summit, Whirlpool, Marvel, and more. Stop by our showroom in Paterson, NJ to view our selection.